Thursday, September 27, 2007

Food as Pampering??

Interestingly, and hang with me here, this is going to get weird, I have been considering lately about using food as a method of pampering.

The weird part is that when I talk about this, I'm not talking about ice cream or cookies or cakes or other sweets or things that come pre-wrapped.

I will wait for you to revive...

Seriously, I have a huge history of hating the kitchen and everything about it. I have a food-touching phobia and will tell anyone that I possess no instincts when it comes to having things come out together on time. Of course, those instincts would be hard to procure with almost no history of doing any "cooking" other than "warming stuff up".

Recently, for my birthday, my husband took me out for a dinner that was truly spectacular. Eating like that, of course, would kill me in about a month, but the one thing that struck me over and over again was that with food that flavorful I really only had to eat a bite or two before I was "full". With food that flavorful my mouth told me nice and early on that I was done eating because it was in such extacy it could not take any more.

Then, two days later I went to the spa and had a five hour session of pampering, including a full hour sweedish massage and a facial. During the mani/pedi session I was talking to a woman who's sister-in-law does the spa every month. Once a month she goes in for a day away from the world and gets physical touch that is all about relaxing her, gets her hair and hands and face mooshed around and played with. Basically gets her skin tingled once a month, including between her toes.

I can understand why a person would do that once a month.

Ad campaigns will often come out for a yogurt or apples or something that says, in essence, treat your insides to a spa. I never got that. Really got it.

After this birthday and how I felt after the amazing food and the amazing spa, I think I'm starting to understand.

What if I started feeding myself and my family fresh food, well-prepared, on a regular basis? What if I just start with one recepie? One, that requires things made from their basic elements into something else? What if it was healthy and flavorful and tastey? Not rich and heavy or sugary, but zingy? Would I feel pampered?

I think, maybe, for the first time in my life, I might.

2 comments:

YAHPR said...

I think it's a good idea. Now, me, I'm too lazy to make something that has more than 5 ingredients, so you might guess that my list of healthy homemade stuff is limited. But if you want a kickass recipe for jerk chicken or chili lime chicken, I'll share :)

And damn, TT needs to talk to my hubby. I could use some of that pampering over here!

Anonymous said...

Wow! What a fantastic way to look at food, "Food as pampering." I love it!...I made the switch to eating mostly organics about 4 years ago, and it was the best thing I ever did. It may be more expensive, but the eating experience is sooooo different, and much healthier without all the chemical sounding ingredients.