Tuesday, September 04, 2007

These are good carbs??

In my never ending search for easy to make/eat food I sometimes pick up a package of the latest diet trend food. I think I tried Slim fast years ago. Then came the Weight Watchers Meals ( and all the other frozen diet food). Unfortunately, Weight Watchers was easy to handle until they started all those frozen deserts too.

Let's see, frozen entree or frozen ice cream sandwich.......Hummmmmm. The way I saw it, "points is points." oooooooooo......chocolate brownie thingy....

I also saw me wolfing down TWO fake ice cream sandwiches instead of eating anything that my body could actually use. I had to give up on the convenience foods. They were always just an unsatisfying pit stop on the way to the land of chronic food abuse. They never tasted good enough or filled me up enough. You see, I really like food. I like good food. However, bad food is a waste of time.

Well folks, I've done it again.

I was grocery shopping this afternoon and the lure of easy food proved too much. I picked up a South Beach Diet Santa Fe Style lunch. I was captivated by its picture. Not frozen, and there is chicken, a bowl, cheese, CHIPS and DIET JELLO. Holy crap. There are 240 calories, 6gs of fat, 29 gs of Protein, and best of all....24 grams of Carbohydrates!! I could totally eat this and still have 5 gms of carbs left over for lunch !!!! AND I was starved....

I drove home, put the groceries on the counter and grub around until I found the South Beach Box. While grubbing I passed up some really yummy bread, a beautiful feta cheese, some walnuts and a variety of other things.

I briefly thought about making sandwich instead. I usually have a piece of multi-grain bread, a serving of tasty tuna with light mayo and a couple of romaine leafs. I include apple slices or a peach and maybe my protein drink if I need to protein grms. I'm always very satisfied with this lunch. I actually LIKE this lunch. It's real food. It's in my 'fridge and always available.

So anyway, I ripped open the box eager to see the delicious and generous portions of food I had imagined.

As I pulled out the tiny package of itty bitty chicken, the little package of shredded bland cheese, the leeetle bowl and the leeetle spoon I knew I had done it again. Still in denial, I was hoping that the Chipotle chips were awesome. I guess I was hoping they tasted like, I donno, Fritos??? I was hoping and hoping.

But...no. The lunch was a disappointment. Everything was so inferior to what I would have made for myself it was insulting. However, I had bought it and I had made it, so I ate it. But it was pretty bad. I sniffled just thinking of all the great food I passed while I was grubbing for this sorry excuse for a lunch. It was another big waste of time.

Oh me. Oh my.

I suppose I will never be immune to the charms of Madison Avenue. But I would like to think that I learn by my mistakes. Sitting here still sort of hungry and feeling foolish I wonder if I ever will.

So tell me. What food mistakes seem to haunt you like a stinky ghost? Do you have food lessons that you just can't seem to learn?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Any food lessons I just can't seem to learn? Um... all of them?

I'm a slow learner when it comes to food. I think my biggest issue is not so much what I eat but portion control. Also I seem to equate relaxing with eating and have a hard time doing things like watching TV without some kind of food. A lot of diets/dietitians will advise not to eat food in front of the television, and with good reason. You tend not to pay as much attention to what (or how much) you're eating, and it's way too easy to marry the two in your mind and eat even when you don't need to.

My demons aside, I'm sorry your lunch wasn't good. I've found that the frozen meals and most pre-processed food is not worth the calories, as much as I wish it were. The sandwich you described sounded wonderful - at least you can have one tomorrow! I may copy you!

NanaP said...

Mindless eating is a real problem for a lot of people. You can eat a whole meal in front of the TV and not even taste it.

I have kept a bottle of flavored water with me while I'm watching TV and I find that mindless drinking is much less damaging to my body.

OH BOY ! I'm looking forward to my lunch today.

Has everyone found the packaged Starkist Tuna that is already seasoned? It really good. A blob of light mayo and it's good to go.

Anonymous said...

My major demons, uh, lessons unlearned, are more along the lines of "don't eat now, scarf down everything in sight later". I'm never hungry until about 4pm, but because I don't prepare my body properly, don't eat anything but a cup of coffee and maybe some nuts, I am starving by 4pm, and then just inhale whatever I can, because I NEED FOOD NOW! I'm slowly getting better, and making myself sit down and eat some sort of breakfast to start the day, but it takes willpower to make me do that. I guess I'm a slow learner, too!

NanaP said...

I really have to be firm with myself about eating in the morning. I don't even like the look of food in the AM but with the diabetes, I have to get the carbs in. Then I'm ike you in the evening. Always cruising for something good to eat.