Friday, September 07, 2007

How to Look Good Naked

How to Look Good Naked is a show currently running in the UK. It deals with real bodies with "boobs, butts and tummies" and how to dress them up and how to feel about them when they are undressed. I've not seen it, but only seen the website. I'm impressed so far, however, and really like the Naked Rules that they've listed. I think the first two stages they list are very important:

Stage 1: Face Your Fears
Take your clothes off in front of a mirror and have a long hard look at yourself
For many of our ladies, taking their clothes off in front of anyone had became a massive ordeal. Stripping off in front of a mirror and taking a good hard look at yourself in the first step to facing your fears and building up your confidence.

Stage 2: Change Your Self-Perception
You're not as big as you think you are
The media bombard us all with unrealistic airbrushed images of women every day. These images of the stick thin, surgically enhanced women aren't very realistic but these images portray women as beautiful and successful so it's hard for normal women not to want to be like them. However, most normal women do not look like them so these pictures enforce feelings of negativity and encourage low self esteem.

So, the second stage of looking good naked is to start waking up to the way the media works and stop comparing these images to the way you look. Wake up to the fact that you actually look pretty ok, that you aren't as big as you think you are AND look at all the women around you – I bet most of them are the same as you.


Even Flabuless, who is trying to lead a life that is healthier and more realistic has said that she dislikes the look of fat flesh, so ipso facto, she dislikes the look of herself. I think that many of the women I know dislike the way they look. I think it's sad that I spend so much time disliking myself. Hell, I'm the only person I can control, shouldn't I actually like me?!? I could be my one ace-in-the-hole for approval!

I have to say that while getting my makeup done and finding sexy jeans and getting a new dress I felt empowered as often as I felt overwhelmed. I looked bad sometimes, but sometimes I also looked good. I had moments where my perspective shifted and I actually saw myself as I believe others must see me and, man, I'm not nearly as fat as I feel.

This vacation to London is going to be important, I think. I have a successful, polite, adorable and secure three year old son. I have a hot, successful, adored, talented brilliant husband who loves me to no end. I myself am successful at work, am working on a new career that is tailor-made for my skill set and I'm well-spoken, smart, and well put-together. We have a house, healthy well-cared-for pets, vehicles and everything else that could possibly indicate a life on the track to good things.

This vacation I'm going to try and wallow in my success and love everyone, including myself. It's time to take a break from negativity. This vacation is going to be the Vacation of Lurve.

Feel free to jot that down.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yea.....clap..clap..clap !!!
I LOVE it. You go be just as fabulous as you are!

I'm takin a lesson.
Mom

el-e-e said...

Excellent post. I especially like their Rule #2, on the day when all this flack about Britney's performance on the MTV music awards last night. I don't take issue with her PERFORMANCE (which was phoned in), but I read one review that mentioned her "paunch where her taut tummy used to be." AND THAT made my blood boil in the name of mothers everywhere, including her. She looks AMAZING for having 2 kids, I don't care if she DOES have her own personal trainer.

anyway, yes, the media WARPS OUR MINDS.

And you are going to be gorgeous and impressive in London. :)